Thursday, October 30, 2008

I have to ask for forgiveness

for all the years I have gorged myself on chicken and beef, not caring where it came from or how it's journey ended up on my plate. I am not a vegetarian, I am a meat eater plain and simple. But tonight I witness something that not only shocked me but it made me say I am sorry. I plan on eating more veggies and yes meat but not like I used to be. Please take a look and see if you agree this isn't right.




Note:
While growing up I was the sissy that couldn't clean the rabbit or the squirrel that was shot. I will not even clean a fish, I get so upset and sick that it makes me cry that such a poor animal was just running and looking for food has now made it's way to my families garage to be cleaned.
I got slapped and laughed at, but I never gutted any animal.

10 Comments:

Lori D said...

I watched the full video now I'm sick. I think I'll grab a burger. Kidding, it was quite horrible to see this.

Shauna said...

I know I could only watch up to the cows and shut it off, you would think that being from the south I could handle it, not so.

Le visage d'avril said...

I am with you. I could only watch up to the cows. Very upsetting video.

Christopher said...

I have to confess I didn't watch it at all. I knew too well what was coming. I've seen variations on it elsewhere. I'm not strictly a vegetarian, and wouldn't be a a holier-than-thou one even if I were. If people want to eat meat it's their business, not mine. And since I've never been able to give up fish, seafood, or dairy products there are plenty of vegetarians who turn their noses up at me.
I'm from the south too, and, for me at least, that's part of what makes it harder to handle. Surrounded by beautiful areas it's hard to casually accept such cruelty.

Queers United said...

thanks for sharing this video shauna. Curious did you find this video on my site, how did you come across it? http://www.vegcooking.com offers great recipes and tips for buying frozen foods that are easy to micro that are cruelty free.

Shauna said...

Queers United said...

thanks for sharing this video shauna. Curious did you find this video on my site?

Actually Riftgirl posted a story on the veggie blog which I thought I would look at and found this that made me feel so awful. Knowing where meat comes from but not seeing the slaughter made me upset. How so I ate cereal for the last three days.

Queers United said...

well cereal is healthy and yummy and the animals appreciate it :) I am vegan so if you ever need tips on being veg don't hesitate.

Shauna said...

well as much as I believe it is wrong to eat animals that men kill, I will need a source of protein to keep myself going in life. I made the mistake in my body building days of eating just protein bars, when I went back to meat I was sicker than I could imagine. It will take time, but yes one day I will eat less meat than I do today, maybe just vegs.

Queers United said...

Well think about it the healthiest people are veg. It is a myth that vegetarians aren't getting enough protein. I'd drop if that was the case. Soy, beans, nuts, seeds, wheat, seitan, tempeh are all great sources of protein. Not to mention imitation meat products like soy burgers/chicken etc are chock full of protein :)

Shauna said...

Oh I know there are plenty of different sources for protein, I do love chicken I have always called it the second steak but to give up totally I may freak out, so I will slowly ease myself away from certain meats so not to hurt the animals. If I had to hunt to survive, I would be eat vegs all the time, not lazy just I don't like killing anything.