Thursday, September 11, 2008

God Please Help?

While thinking of other body deformities - birth defects, visible and invisible. Do we say to children with facial deformities or congenital heart disease, ‘God doesn't make mistakes, so you should remain the way you were created?’
Of course you wouldn't.
How, then, is my condition different?

Is it because you cannot see my birth defect? Do you simply disbelieve me when I tell you there was a discrepancy between my body and my mind, present from my earliest memory and which I did not choose?

Do you think I'm lying or misinformed?
I have lived in this body for decades and I can tell you that it was not my choice to have this discrepancy. That it has developed on it's own producing effects that can not be corrected.
I agree that God does not make mistakes.
I believe God allowed this discrepancy in my life for reasons I do not comprehend, but God also gave me the way to resolve the problem. I believe God loves me even though some of those who claim to speak for God do not love or respect me.

I realize that your life experience is not like mine. I know that you cannot comprehend this birth defect I am describing, any more than I can understand what it is like to be color blind or deaf, for example. But that doesn't make my problem any less real.

So, let me offer this hope that we can accept one another differences and take comfort in our shared faith in a loving God?

2 Comments:

Lori D said...

If you're a believer in a loving God like me, I have come to this same conclusion that God indeed does not make mistakes. Things happen for a reason, and I know this special gift of tribulation to overcome was given to me for a purpose.

Still trying and haven't completely figured out why, but I'm starting to see the bigger picture.

My kids know about me finally. And they love me just the same. Thank God.

Shauna said...

that is wonderful Lori