Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Good Read, and an update (small one)

Today I received really wonderful news, all my trans health are covered by my insurance including breast enhancement, Facial surgery, hormones and gender reassignment. So I am on a high. The company also granted my request for a company blackberry so instead of the blackberry I get to choose which ever phone I will use.

My manager gave me a performance review and it was great all down the line, it seems everyone loves my attitude and I make everyone positive when I walk in a room.

I was reading a story from another blog which really touch me, so I will share it with you as well, I believe you too will like it.

Transgender

Soon my body will finally match my mind, but I have always been a woman just in a different wrapper.

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow, Shauna! What great news! I'm so glad things are finally looking up for you :) Keep the good vibes going!

Love,
E.

Anonymous said...

Sis, that it truly awesome news all around. Wow! Health coverage like it ought to be! I'm very happy for you, and happy that you're doing so well at the company. Nothing can stop you now!

And thanks for that link. Too bad she seems not to be writing any more, but maybe she'll be back.

xoxo

Amy K. said...

Wow, Shauna! It's not often I hear a health insurance covering so much. In fact, I've never heard of them covering BA and FFS. Would you mind disclosing to me who the insurance company is? (You can write me on Facebook if you don't want to reveal it here.) Good news, girl! I'm happy for you. :)

Shauna said...

Amy, its Blue Cross Blue Shield

Anonymous said...

It's not so much the insurance company as the contract the company has with Shauna's employer. Each contract is different. Blue Cross doesn't care what you cover as long as their fee is covered.

Shauna said...

Transgender Services

Medically necessary transgendered services are covered at the level of coinsurance aligning with your health plan.
The Plan pays benefits for the treatment of gender identify disorder as follows:
• Continuous hormone replacement (hormones of the desired gender).
• Diagnosis of gender dysphonia by a psychological professional and psychotherapy for gender identity disorders and associated co-morbid psychiatric diagnoses. Note: Services provided by psychiatrists, psychologists, PhDs and masters-level therapists will be treated as Behavioral Health Benefits.
• Laboratory testing to monitor the safety of continuous hormone therapy.
• Surgery to change the genitalia and specified secondary sex characteristics, including breast augmentation, facial feminization and electrolysis (as defined as medically necessary).

Transgender benefits are subject to other exclusions and limitations that apply under the Plan.
Surgical Benefit
Transgender surgical benefits approved by the most current standards of care published by the World
Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) are provided if: The surgery is performed by a
qualified gender identity disorder;
• The treatment plan conforms to the WPATH standards; and provider at a facility with a history of treating individuals with
• You are at least 18 years old and have been diagnosed with gender identity disorder.

In addition, the following criteria must be met:
• For breast surgery, at least one letter of recommendation from a mental health professional is required.

For genital surgery, you must:
- Have received at least two letters of recommendation from a mental health professional; on must include an extensive report; and
- Be an active participant in a recognized gender identity treatment program and must have completed 12 months of successful continuous full time real life experience in the desired gender

Coverage is limited to one course surgical treatment per lifetime and then only when provided at a designated facility.

Prescription drugs and mental health treatment associated with gender reassignment surgery are consider under the Plan’s behavioral health and prescription drug provisions, subject to applicable limitations and exclusions.
Hormone Replacement Benefit
In addition to the Plan’s overall eligibility requirements, to be eligible for hormone replacement, you must:
• Be at least 18 years old and have been diagnosed with gender identity disorder;
• Demonstrable knowledge of what hormones medically can and cannot do and their social benefits and risks;
and
• Obtain documentation of real-life experience for at least three months before the administration of
hormones;
or
• Go through a period of psychotherapy of a duration specified by the mental health professional after the initial evaluation (usually a minimum of three months).

Exclusions

Transgender benefits do not include coverage for:
• Cryopreservation of fertilized embryos.
• Reversal of genital surgery or reversal of surgery to revise secondary sex
characteristics.
• Sperm preservation in advance of hormone treatment or gender surgery
• Voice modification surgery.

Anonymous Woman said...

That is...mind boggling.