Sunday, January 24, 2010

The wonderful world of gender and labels

I was asked today to join a web site that caters to TRANNYS, now as you all know that isn't what I am. Each of us have our own label or title but as an Intersex where do I fit in? I did the registration and low and behold I am an other.

I will always be an other because society has no category for us and I understand that, with the different types involved Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (cah),Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (ais), 5-alpha Reductase Deficiency, Klinefelter’s Syndrome, Turner Syndrome, Mosaicism just to name a few.

I do get a kick out of someone trying to categorize me in the tranny community, though I try to educate them just how far I am along in my transition than that of a typical MTF. How many different types of gender are there really, every week I hear of a new label but the genders are the same either your male or female there is no in between.

We as humans should get along with each other but that will not happen in my future only the animals get along with each other and they have no labels.

5 Comments:

Jenny said...

It's strange, the urge to categorise. I'm in this club, I'm more hardcore than you, I'm offended by the label you choose for yourself so I'm inventing a new one, you'll all have seen it. I could just as easily be talking about heavy metal music as gender so I guess it's a human thing rather than just us.

Me? I'm just an insomniac bloke in a dress. Categorise that!

Shauna said...

Jenny I have no choice but to take other, 89% female and 11% male where does that leave me?

Jenny said...

It leaves you as it should, and as the rest of us should find ourselves too, finding your own path rather than as you say being railroaded into someone else's. Everyone's path is different, the only thing we all have in common is that we're all in it together.

Sorry if my slightly facetious though visually accurate final comment irked you.

Shauna said...

Not Irked, more concern. I never wish to hurt anyone with my outlook or how I describe something.

alan said...

I was tired of labels 40 years ago and have only grown less tolerant of them in the years ensuing...

The sadness and heartbreak they've caused through the centuries far outweigh their convenience!

alan