Monday, August 15, 2011

Where have I been???

How can I start this? The last year sure has played havoc with my health, from the urologist to the chemo doctors, wait I am getting ahead of myself.

This all started with a slight pain in my shoulder blades, I pinched a nerve or so I thought I did. Went to see a few massage therapists and a chiropractor and still the same results a constant pain. On top of that I was having pain in my right kidney which proved to be kidney stones and many to say the least. The doctor failed in 2 operations removing the stones, finally I begged that he take the stent out and with that the stones followed, no more stones.

I followed up with a spine surgeon for my back issues and he sent me in for a MRI which followed a CT Scan, and then a PET Scan, there was a problem and requested for me to see him. It was a nerve but the nerve was exposed from the tumor that had eaten the bone protecting the nerve. I have a tumor mass, the left side of my back, size of a football and very aggressive.

What followed was a consultation in which the doctor went on to explain I have Cancer. I didn't blink at all, it didn't phase me for I seem to expect it. Twenty eight years ago my mother and I spoke of this and I was ready.

He then assigns me to a 5 star team of Doctors who will work with me, I now have
a series of tests to find I have stage 3 lung cancer. Radiation will be the first of my journey, so off goes the earrings and also no hormones, I want to beat this. The radiation has burned my back and chest, my throat has a sun burn on the inside and swallowing is something I will need to learn to go slow till this is over with.

Chemo starts out bad, I had reaction which caused my breathing to go into shallow breathes, oxygen I am on and many steroids.

I am losing my hair now, big gobs are coming out so I went and had my head shaved into a crew cut this way it will be easier to up keep and not worry of losing more.

I am on many pills, 20 to be exact, two I use is for nausea which helps me eat, eating is hard because my throat is burnt but I do eat. There is another med that is called Magic Mouth Wash, it deadens the nerves in the throat so I can eat for 20 minutes then it fades away. I sleep more than I am used to but I hear that is what is helping fight this off.
My throat is constantly dry, so keeping it lubricated is such a pain in the ass. If I don't lube it, I am in constant pain and coughing is so difficult.

I have 9 more radiation treatments and 2 chemo sessions, then the doctors will see where we are, as for the mass it is shrinking and I am still fighting. It will take more than Cancer to take me from you all and if this is as strong as the devil has for me, I will be here a very long time.
Starting weight 218 lbs - now 173 lbs, I am now down to a size 10 from a 18. Is this supposed to work this way, I could have lose weight on my own.

I will keep you all up to date with my illness.

Miley Cyrus- The Climb.....sure fits me so well.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Shauna, Sorry to hear about the new challenges in your life. I love your fighting spirit...never give up. We are out here pulling for you in every way possible. Please keep us informed. My thoughts and prayers are here for you. Hugs, Suzi

Lori D said...

My heart goes out to you, dear friend. I'm so sorry to hear that you have to face this terrible battle, but you aren't one to give up a fight easily. Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.
Lori

Caroline said...

Not the way to spend a significant birthday but this will be a faded memory when you celebrate all those future birthdays.

Loosing weight is hard, rebuilding a more svelte body has to be a welcome side effect for all the suffering you have been through and I know the kidney stones gave you some good practice having tried that myself!

As happy a birthday as you can manage.

Caroline xx

Shirley Anne said...

Hi Shauna, you don't know me but I came to your blog courtesy of a link on Lori's blog. I only want to say I wish you all the best in this fight and I will pray the Lord will give you the strength to face whatever comes your way. Love

Shirley Anne xxx

Shauna said...

You all know me pretty well, I don't just lay down and give up. If it were one of you I'd help fight somehow. Be sure I will continue to fight this. Now I have to grow my hair out again, damn chemo stole my beautiful hair lol.

Thank you Shirley for your kind words.

Diane T. said...

Shauna - I was beginning to wonder where you have been. I really do enjoy following your journey since meeting you. I have a genuine concern over what you have been through. Quite a bit, but your spirit shines through during your health challenges. Exactly the Shauna I would expect you to be. You will win the fight and we will all be praying for your complete recovery. Please let us know how you are progressing. Love, hugs and prayers, my dear friend.

Diane T.

Cynthia Jane said...

Dear Shauna,
Like some of the others, I too have been wondering where you have been.

I too will be praying the Lord's Will, that you beat this cancer that has reared it's ugly head. I lost my mother to cancer, and now my brother is fighting it for the third time(lousy agent orange). You now have a place on my prayer list.

Love,Faith,Hugs,and many prayers,

Cynthia XX

Calie said...

Oh Shauna, I am just now reading this, thanks to Lori's blog. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Calie xxx