It took more than twenty months in order to find work or for a company to give me a chance to prove myself. It isn't how good your resume looks, or your references, even your background. The companies are so strict and picky that they pass over so my great people to find that special one they want. I interviewed with four hundred others all with the same background and some with more talent, Dell hired me. I believe it was my upbeat personality that won them over.
So I will begin work November 8th, and lord knows I am anxious. the orientation will be all day as expected with lunch paid for by the company. I am going through a background security check as I type this.
The trip
My brother and I decided to visit my folks and also me visit the dentist, I had chipped a tooth that needed fixing badly (dentist said if I didn't come as I did, I would need a root canal). So we left Virginia 6:30 pm for Chicago to avoid the rush hour traffic, little did LB (my brother) know we would hit the heart of it in Maryland.
We sat in traffic for little over an hour and a half talking about the trip and when I was to take over the driving, all went quite well other than his top speeds of 90+ an hour which upset me, what was the damn hurry to drive like that in the mountains. I started driving from Breezeway PA, which was very pleasant, LB slept and I concentrated on the road which it was extremely dark. A truck had hit a raccoon and he was partially alive when he was in my path, I could not avoid him to save him for I would have hit an upcoming vehicle in my left and right lane. I felt miserable and still do because I hit it. In Indiana, I got caught up with traffic and was speeding, my radar detector didn't go off till I was in front of the police car that was hidden in the night (no lights or anything to show his car) he got me going 74 in a 70, and I explained to him I have never had anything on my record for 30 years. He gave me the citation for $150.00, now that was a jerk.
I proceeded to the next service station for gas and to switch with LB, I was too pissed to drive now. Before the trip LB and I agreed he would pay the gas which I would split later with him, I took care of the tolls which were $52.80 round trip.
Lb gotten lost somewhere in Indiana between 80/94 and ended up in Gary Indiana, now that was a scary trip, two white people driving through the early morning hours looking for the highway. We finally pulled up behind my old house at 6:30am, it had taken us 12 hours to get there.
My parents woke up to find us in my truck waiting for them, we are to stay at their house. I haven't slept in their home since I was 16 years old so this will feel strange. The visit was good because I had time to spend with my friends, while the family went gambling which I could not afford. I brought $300.00 with me for the dinners with friends and the dentist bill.
The dental bill was $315.00, I gave him $250.00 with a promise to pay off the rest when I start working, he knows I am good for it. I also told him that he is MY dentist, I will fly to have my teeth fixed by him, he is that good.
That evening I had a friend realign my spine, she is a massage therapist which has worked on me for the past 8 years. I work on her computers and she works on me, so no charge.
LB and I are leaving in the early morning, 3:30 am he wakes me for the trip home. I start the driving out of Chicago and somewhere around 80/94, I end up in Michigan. Both of us were awake when it happen and yet we have no idea what happen. For an hour I drove with my GPS trying to find I80. We eventually drove to the highway though we gotten to see the back roads of the farms in Mich (Niles). Nothing exciting from that point on, we arrive home around 4 pm, unload my truck and unwind.
During the trip home I had received calls from all my friends to be sure I was alright and they had said maybe we can get together for a longer visit next time.
Then my father called, not to see if we made it but to ask me one insulting question that would end all our conversations from that time forward.
Father: Let me ask you a question?
Me: Ok dad go for it.
Father: Did you take $250.00 from the envelope in the silverware draw?
Me: No dad, I didn't. Why would you ask that?
Father: Don't lie to me BOY!!
Me: Listen I have my own money I wouldn't take yours, I don't steal from no one.
Father: I had $4200.00 in there and $250.00 is missing, you took it!!
Me: I never took it and you are so wrong for accusing me for such, this conversation is done..I hung up on him.
That evening I wrote him an email, through my step mom's email account.
Dad,
You are a very pathetic asshole in my eyes, accuse me of stealing from you. The years of torment you apply to me in everything I do or have done, towards my dead mother, even now that I no longer live there. You will not be able to call me ever, your phone number is no longer able to call my phone.
I can see Paul stealing from you but not me, I have never took anything from you or anyone for that matter. So for you to ask me the question and then say "Don't lie to you" OMG you are an asshole in my eyes. All the years I bought alcohol and cigarettes, never charged you a dime for the gas and ALWAYS gave you your change.
Even after you find out where your money is, don't talk to me, don't apologize because I don't give a shit.
Shawn
So that is my trip from hell, and now I am getting ready for my job. That will be the one thing that will make me extremely happy and get on with my new life. I am saving for my VJJ :)
Friday, October 29, 2010
Finally a job and a nightmare
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 Comments:
Sorry to hear about your dad being horrible to you, but the job is great news. That's definitely where to focus! Hope it all goes really, really well. Hugs!
That's amazingly wonderful...to be picked over 400 others...cool.
Sorry about Dad...stuff happens in life, but it really stinks when it involves your own Dad. Please don't give up on him completely...people can change and sometimes being rejected is the catalyst. :)Suzi
Shauna-
Thank you so much!
Sincerely,
Emily
So, how's the job going?
The job is fantastic, it seems I must love it since I start at 8am and I am supposed to start at 9am. I travel now and the benefits are nothing I have ever seen before.
Post a Comment