Monday, October 26, 2009

Children & Gender Dysphoria

Growing up was difficult after finding I was much more different than my brothers, but I managed and by the age of 16 I wanted nothing more than to quit living. Committing suicide was a call for help and yet no one listened instead I was sent to see a therapist whom only talked to me about not killing myself. So I complied with her and went with the program just so I could get on with my life.

At the age of twelve I had begun wearing girls underthings, puberty of the male never came, I would begin growing breasts and having a menstrual cycle like any girl my age though not having a vagina the blood would seep out in my stools. I totally freaked when I started getting a period because i thought I was ill and off to the doctor we would go. After finding out what was happening I was better with it, but wasn't happy.

If I had a choice like children today, I would have asked to be put on the estrogen boosters earlier so at least I could have blended easier growing up. I would have rather worn skirts and dresses than to wear pants and having to act like a boy just to satisfy my father. So enough of my whining, watch the videos of today's gender dysphoria and how they cope with it.

1 Comments:

Lindsay said...

This was a veri interesting and informative blog. I listened to ALL the videos and It made me feel sad; sad because here in Kenya we do not have the opportunities that these kids did. Fine, I am now living as who I really am, but I just cannot shake off that feeling of "if only...".

One problem I had with the people who did the Body Shock documentary was that they kept referring to the kids by the 'wrong' pronouns. On that I was about 80% on the negative and 20% on the positive. Either way it was very well done and I will probably recommend it to my fellow Kenyans who want to learn more and understand more.

Thanks Shauna. Love ya!