Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fathers Day

A woman by the name of Sonora Smart Dodd thought of the idea for Father's Day while listening to a Mother's Day sermon in 1909.

Having been raised by her father, William Jackson Smart, after her mother died, Sonora wanted her father to know how special he was to her. It was her father that made all the parental sacrifices and was, in the eyes of his daughter, a courageous, selfless, and loving man. Sonora's father was born in June, so she chose to hold the first Father's Day celebration in Spokane, Washington on the 19th of June, 1910.


In 1926, a National Father's Day Committee was formed in New York City. Father's Day was recognized by a Joint Resolution of Congress in 1956. In 1972, President Richard Nixon established a permanent national observance of Father's Day to be held on the third Sunday of June. So Father's Day was born in memory and gratitude by a daughter who thought that her father and all good fathers should be honored with a special day just like we honor our mothers on Mother's Day.


The idea that the male is only the father is wrong there are so many women who are both the father and mother for their children. An example my own mother rest her soul, portrayed a father while I was growing up. Many woman do this, even lesbian couples because a child needs a father figure. So today we observe this holiday for all the fathers in the world.


Mine is celebrating his b-day and fathers day together, and all my brothers and my brother in law too. I could never father a child nor can I bear any children so this will be another day for me. I was once married and became a step father which was a wonderful gift to me because I love being with children, Thomas was his name grew to be a very good man he is now 22 years old. I haven't seen him for 2 years now, since I came out of the closet. Someday he will understand and accept me for who I was to him but until then it isn't a crisis that needs to be resolved.


Roses are the fathers day flower: red to be worn for a living father and white if the father has died.





1 Comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I've definitely always been a father to my kids, even if the world would say something different.