Sunday, April 26, 2009

Has Society really changed...

Has it really changed or is it the fact that people are more educated than they were in the past. We still hear about young girls being murdered for no other reason other than they were different, not your "typical or natural" girl.

I am talking of the trial of Angie Zapata's killer who in my eyes should go through the exact same treatment he caused her. That girl was stunning her beauty like no other I have seen in such a long time and have some idiot that is hateful to others to whisk her life away because?? Well this is the reasons so many hide, so many decide it isn't worth dying over. I would rather be miserable not living my true self than to be my true self only to be killed.

I need to ask why some of society is still unaware of what is going on, we need to educate and asks ourselves what can we do to help with this plague of hate amongst ourselves. In my eyes we are all and I mean ALL the same, there isn't male, female, fat, thin, black or white. We are all the same, our wrappers are different but the insides are the very same. We are human, why is it animals can get along just fine. Is it a social acceptance amongst ourselves, where if you don't fit you get verbal out cries or worse beaten because you are different. Why is it this way, why do children grow up to be bashers, education should be brought into the picture to help these children to become ideal citizens and not be held behind bars because they were educated wrong.

I understand we are all different and that is good because if we were all the same life would surely be unpleasant. I have grown my hair over my shoulders and my father whom I love with all my heart ridicules me everyday over it making statements that I need a haircut. Education to him is hard because he is older and though he isn't violent the insults are just as harmful.
My wrapper changed and so in doing so people think I changed along with it, that isn't so but to them I am different.

The social background that I grew to love everyday amongst my friends has come to a mere handful, everyone that was behind me has ceased to call or inquire what I am up to. This is another reason why I hid all those years, I am a social butterfly, I love being around people and yet I sit in this house day in and day out because I am an outcast to the people I grew to love.

Well I will not curl up in a ball and hide under a rock because people do not like me for who I am, they will need to accept me for me or turn the other cheek. Our world is plagued with such nonsense such as hate and it must be stopped. We as a whole must educate people when they are younger and hopefully correct the older ones as well in order to live a quiet life with the many we are around, remember we are ALL the same just our wrappers are different.

With that said, hopefully there will be no more bad incidents like poor Angie Zapata who was born with the wrong body and people accept people for who they are not what they look like.

4 Comments:

Teresa said...

Education is good but some people need the "board" of education- a swift and nasty non-fatal slap in the ass when needed when young enough to make a difference.
WE need to be tough enough to not let the old timers stop us from being ourselves and smart enough to not put ourselves in harms way when it can be avoided. Poor Angie! Educating her killer wouldn't have saved her and her street smarts didn't either. But the community in Greely turned out to be capable of the right after-the-fact response, let's see if that may nudge our society's evolution along a bit faster.

alan said...

Though I've followed this story from the beginning, the ache in my heart hasn't lessened a bit since it began and my tears flow hot and heavy each time it comes up. As you say, such a waste! The loss of any beautiful soul is, but to have someone taken that way is especially horrific!

Long ago I wrote my Congressman about the federal "Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes" bill. He is a former prosecutor and said he was well aware of how badly this is needed, that he was already signed on as a co-sponser and would do whatever it took to help get it passed.

My two Republican Senators gave me the song-and-dance about how we can't give special rights, etc.. I wrote them back saying that this was not one bit different than the protections granted others in the Civil Rights Act...I didn't get a reply back from that letter. Of course I voted against both of them, but the only way you get rid of them in this state is to have them do something foolish like run for President...

Write your officials if you can and urge them to help pass this. There is a bit of momentum right now and if not now, when?

alan

Véro B said...

I think you're right about early education. That's where you can really make a difference on all kinds of things, including prejudice. Kids are often suspicious of differences, but if they're taught that differences are fine, then they might grow up and hold onto that lesson.

I'm afraid there's another trial about to start in Syracuse, NY, for the killer of Lateisha Green.

Anonymous said...

This is a hard subject because it's always so emotional. I'm a little confused by a couple of things you said. First you said,"In my eyes we are all and I mean ALL the same, there isn't male, female, fat, thin, black or white. We are all the same, our wrappers are different but the insides are the very same." But then, in the next paragraph you said, "I understand we are all different and that is good because if we were all the same life would surely be unpleasant."

I know I'm old but age has some advantages. One thing I've learned is that you CANN0T legislate morality. I don't care if you're a democrat, republican, or a communist...you cannot make people do what is right just by passing laws. This also goes for education. Our education system has been basically controlled by decidedly more liberal educators for quite a few years. Still people refuse to accept everyone in the proper way.

An analogy I like to use is that of the family. Look at the children of a family. The parents can make those children obey them while they are young. However, there comes a time in their lives when that's just not possible anymore because they develop their own lives and lifestyles. All during their lives they obeyed us but that does not mean they loved us. We cannot make them love us. All we can do is love them unconditionally, let them know we do, and hope for the best. Perhaps that upbringing will bear fruit somewhere down the line. It's the same with society. We can pass all the laws we want and perhaps employers, friends, family, etc. will be forced to "accept" us in a legal sense, but that is no guarantee that they will love us. Without their true love and acceptance, we are right back where we started.

What I think I'm trying to say is that the answer to our acceptance does not lie in a political party. It does not lie in our education system. We CANNOT make people like us and really "accept" us in the way we want...it must be something that comes from their own heart. Our job needs to be...what can I do today to show everyone that I love them unconditionally? If I love them unconditionally, perhaps they will see that I'm not some pervert...just a living, breathing human being that is a little different from the norm, but not someone to hate or cast into the city dump. I believe the answer to our dilemma is that we just need to be the best human being we can. We should not carry around sour grapes over the way we are treated. Over time...perhaps not in our lifetime, but someday we will be understood. People will become curious as to why we are so mistreated when we are such loving, understanding, and accepting people ourselves. It's really no more simple than that.

Passing a law to let us use the ladies room will NOT make people accept us...it will just make them tolerate us. I would rather be accepted.

Sorry this was so long. :Suzi